Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Rotten fruit ...

I've still been reading through the reading plan that my church, Eastridge, provides (and that SHINE Girls participate in).  I'm so enjoying the Old Testament.  Having read through 1 Samuel a couple months ago, I was thrilled to continue with the story of David in 2 Samuel!

In reading 2 Samuel 11 about David and his sin with Bathsheba and then in the following chapters through chapter 19, I started thinking about the snowball affect of David's sin.  In chapter 12 we see Nathan tell him what the Lord said:

"From this time on, your family will live by the sword because you have despised me by taking Uriah’s wife to be your own. 'This is what the Lord says: Because of what you have done, I will cause your own household to rebel against you.  I will give your wives to another man before your very eyes, and he will go to bed with them in public view.  You did it secretly, but I will make this happen to you openly in the sight of all Israel.'” (2 Samuel 12:10-12 NLT) 

And so we see the 'fruit' of David's sin begin to fall. It unravels: he lost his son born out of his sin with Bathsheba. Then later, David's son, Amnon, rapes his sister, Tamar (David's daughter).  Sin!  Another son of David, Absalom, avenges his sister and kills his brother, Amnon.  Sin!  Absalom, after fleeing Jerusalem for fear of King David's reaction to his murdering Amnon, returns only to become full of pride, ultimately conspiring to overturn his father's throne for himself!  Sin!  All of the events trace back to David's sin, and they are the fulfillment of Nathan's prophecy from the Lord. 


I'm not even through the whole book yet, but the Holy Spirit has been reminding me that sin breeds sin.

As the wife and mother of my family, I need to take my calling and responsibility seriously every minute of every day. I need to be in constant communication with the Lord in prayer and in the Word.  My appetite for Him needs to win out over my flesh.  And I need to continually be filled with His Spirit so that I am led by Him and don't fall into the temptations of sin.  

Why is this so critical? Because my choices and my sins don't just affect me.  They poison my life and impact all those around me. I don't want to be a reason for sin in my family, my church, or my realm of influence. 


Lord, today, by the same power that raised Christ from the dead … the power of Your Spirit in me, help me overcome the temptation to sin! May my life bring glory to You and magnify Your name.  I desire to daily put on Your Armor! Help me not just play defense against the enemy, trying to overcome sin.  God, I want to be on the offense! I want my children and others around me see Your Light! I desire for others to enter Your kingdom because of my testimony.  I will daily make this choice, Lord. Help me, Holy Spirit!  In the powerful name of Jesus!  Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment